Galleywood Falcons vs U13 Falcons – 29th March 2015

Galleywood Falcons 3   Rayne Youth Falcons 2

Rayne arrived at Galleywood today after beating the same side a thumping 7-0 the week before. They looked to repeat their performance again and hoped to extend their 7 game unbeaten run to 8.

Rayne began slowly and after several efforts on goal which were weak and safe for the keeper they were punished for not taking their chances when an unusual sloppy bit of defending led to a rare goal for the opposing team and Rayne were in shock to concede for the first time since the 2nd of November last year !!! 1-0. Will had a good chance to equalise before the break however was unlucky to see his effort saved by the keeper, and the boys went in at half time down for the first time in a long time.

The boys went out in the second half with intent and after a flurry of chances, with Eduardo at the heart of things happening, it was a beautiful pass from Ed which fell to Cam Barnes with a good opportunity to equalise however a dodgy bounce left him stretching for his effort at goal. Ed’s long throw-in’s caused mayhem at the back for Galleywood all game, and with players winning flick on’s left, right and centre, it was unfortunate for the boys as the ball just wasn’t falling for them.

It was then a counter attack which stunned Rayne as they looked to get back in the game from a corner and were punished for committing men forward and the defence were left with a 2 on 2 situation. 2-0. The boys heads remained up and Tom Warwick entered the field just after the 2nd goal and after some good work on the wing from Braden, Tom had the chance to get the boys back in the game after just 1 minute of being on the field as he got into the box and as he smashed the low cross towards goal it was almost certainly a goal before a Galleywood defender took one in the face to clear it off the line and Rayne were starting to feel like it wasn’t their day. Galleywood managed to pick up a free kick on the left hand side and a good effort on goal keeper Danny struggled to get to the shot. 3-0. This was a new situation for the boys as they are used to being in control of the game, however credit to the boys for not giving up. With just 9 minutes to go the game looked done and dusted, but Striker Will had over ideas as he used power to latch onto a wonderful ball from Ed again and after taking a couple of touches to get away from the defence he blasted the ball from the edge of the box with sheer power and it soared into the roof of the net. 3-1. Could the boys do it ?

Braden throughout the game put the ball on a plate from crossing positions and he done so again moments after Will’s goal and Jamie got over the ball to slot home however the linesmen ruled it out for offside but the boys still had hope. Braden continued to put balls into the box and it was a cross that led to Rayne’s second goal as the defender struggled to deal with it and turned it into his own net but Braden will argue it was already going in. 3-2.

Minutes remained but the boys pushed hard to earn a point and had about 5 back to back corners but struggling to make the most of them. It was then with the last corner Rayne pushed all 11 men (Yes, including Danny) into the box and coincidently the ball fell to Danny at the edge of the box and he hit he ball high in the air. A controversial decision was put onto the table as the ball was dropping down to Will, the Ref blew for Full Time and Will stroked home just after the whistle. Frustrating to say the least.

Little mistakes however were what added up to eventually the defeat and we cannot dwell on the event at the end of the game and others.


Finally, I would like to particularly praise Eduardo’s performance again as I feel he controlled the game and was also very encouraging to the boys throughout and at the end of the game. Also Will continued his form from last week and was unfortunate to not have a hat trick today with the situation he had at the end of the game and the 1 on 1 just before half time so well played Will. Well done to Zak too as he filled in well for Tyler today, and to all the boys for not giving up right to the last. The defeat was always going to come and we will forget about it and move on!

This entry was posted in Team 2008 Falcons. Bookmark the permalink.